Wooden churches

03. Hutka

The wooden church of the Nativity of the Theotokos, 1923

    The first Greek Catholic church in Hutka was built in last third of the 18th century, and dedicated to Saints Cosmas and Damian. However, it was destroyed by fire in 1915. The second Church, also originally a Greek Catholic church, was built in 1923. It was dedicated to the Nativity of the Theotokos. A lack of finances rushed the building process.
    The construction consists of one part, three spaces with three towers and crosses. The church is of rustic structure, the tower of columned structure. The entrance is from the western part. The entire body of the church is covered with wooden boards. The tower is set to the front of the church. Presently two bells hang in the tower, one of them being from the 18th century. In the middle of the roof is set small tower with onion dome and a one-bar decorated cross. Rectangular windows in the narthex, nave and sanctuary provide sufficient light for the interior of the church.
    No Iconostasis is constructed in the church. There are only three scattered icons of the main row: Theotokos (Hodigitria), Christ the Teacher and icon of the Nativity of the Theotokos. These icons originated in various time periods. The difference is visible when comparing the icon of Hodigitria with much older icon of Christ the Teacher.
In 2000 was the church transferred to the Orthodox Church.