Wooden churches

11. Varadka

The wooden church of the Protection of the Theotokos, 1924, NKP

    The original wooden church in the village Váradka was built in the second half of the 18th century and dedicated to the Protection of the Theotokos. There are two theories about its origins. The first theory tells us that the church was destroyed during WWI, and according to the second one, it was destroyed already in 1827. The wooden church with same patronage was built in 1924.
    The church is built in a simple style on stone foundations. The building has two parts, three spaces, three towers and three crosses. It has rustic construction, the tower has pillar construction. The roofs of the towers are tin-plated. In the tower hang three bells. Above the main tower and nave are original Greek Catholic ornamented metal crosses, later changed by slanting their bottom bars. Above the sanctuary is a two-barred decorated cross. The narthex and nave have very tall windows. The tower and the body of the church are covered with wooden boards. The church has two entrances – the main entrance leading to the narthex and second entrance into the nave.
    The Iconostasis has artistic value. We assume that it was built in hurry and thus not finished. It has two rows. It contains the main icons of Holy Father Nichols, Theotokos (Hodigitria), Christ the Teacher and icon of the Protection of the Theotokos. The Royal doors are not typical, only with four icons of the Evangelists. Deaconal doors are not set. In the second row is an icon, a picture of the Holy Family and Last (Mystical) Supper. Third row contains the icons of individual apostles. The top of the iconostasis is not typical – two tablets with Ten Commandments.
    In 2000 was the church, by a decree, transferred to the Orthodox Church.