Wooden churches

04. Korejovce

The wooden Greek Catholic church of the Protection of the Theotokos, 1764, NKP

    The filial church in Korejovce, Svidník district, was built in 1764. It is dedicated to the Protection of the Theotokos. The village together with the church was severely damaged in WWII in 1944, especially the roof, which broke and fell down by an explosion. Also the royal doors were damaged by that explosion. After the war was the church renovated in 1947.
    Regarding the architecture, this is a church with three parts, three spaces, three towers and three crosses. It is built on stone foundation, which is raised going west. The church structure is classically rustic. The tower has a columned structure. Above each onion dome on the towers are simply decorated three-barred crosses. The roof is covered with manually split shingles. The entrance is from the western side leading into narthex.
    The iconostasis has atypical architecture in four rows, with icons displayed on four levels. The icons of the second row (feasts) and third row (apostles) are dated to the 18th century. They were from the original wooden church in Krajná Bystrá, which presently does not exist any longer. The first row is narrow, and because of that the first icon of St. Michael the Archangel is displayed obliquely, the same as the icon of St. Onufrios, which does not belong there. The second icon in the main row is the icon of the Theotokos. The icon of Christ the Teacher is missing, because it is placed in the middle of the third apostolic row. The deacon doors are not set with leaves. The royal doors have two leaves, containing six medallions (four Evangelists and the Annunciation). Above the main row is displayed the apostolic row. The second row of feasts is spread on the walls, on the southern and northern sides. Also present is a fifth row in which there is an icon of the Mandylion, an icon of the Protection of the Theotokos, which was supposed to be in the main row as the fourth icon, and an icon of a lying saint with beasts. The iconostasis underwent general renovation in 1999 - 2002.
    South from the church stands an independent wooden belfry. It is based on sustaining wall. The roof has the shape of a pyramid, covered with shingles. On the tower is a simple, three-barred cross. Three bells are hanging in the belfry, being from 1769, 1771 and 1996. Originally was here hanging another bell, instead of the last one, being from 1835, but this bell was damaged (shoot) and lost its sound, so the new one was cast to replace him. Renovation of the church and the belfry was finished in 2000.

Travel agency BYZANT
Hlavná 3, 080 01 Prešov
tel.: + 421 51 7562668
e-mail: info@drevenechramy.sk