Wooden churches

06. Kurimka

The Greek Catholic church of the Protection of the Theotokos, 1923

    First Greek Catholic church dedicated to the Protection of the Theotokos was built in Kurimka in the second half of the 18th century. It was destroyed by fire in 1915. A second wooden church with same patronage was built on original spot in 1923. It was fully completed in 1930. In the 1970’s was rendered the church from outside and thus devalued.
    Regarding the architecture, this is a construction with three parts, three spaces and two towers. The whole rustic structure stands on stone foundations. The tower has columned structure and underneath the plaster is covered with wooden boards. In the original church there were three bells, now only tow exist. The entrance to the church is typical, on the western side.
    The church has no iconostasis. There are only four icons: Holy Father Nicholas, Theotokos (Hodigitria), Christ the Teacher and icon of the Protection of the Theotokos. First and second icon and similarly also the third and fourth main icon are connected together with an horizontal strip, creating thus an illusion of missing deaconal doors.

Travel agency BYZANT
Hlavná 3, 080 01 Prešov
tel.: + 421 51 7562668
e-mail: info@drevenechramy.sk