Wooden churches

09. Nižný Komárnik

The wooden Greek Catholic church of the Protection of the Mother of God, 1938, NKP 


The original wooden Greek Catholic church was built in Nižný Komárnik probably in the mid of the 18th century. It burned down during the WWI. Present wooden church was built in 1938 and again dedicated to the Protection of the Mother of God. During cruel fights in the village in the autumn of 1944 the church was almost miraculously damaged only a little. It was restored by faithful already in 1945.

Project of the Ukrainian architect Vladimír Sičynský is respectable already from a distance. Architectural design makes optically the church bigger. This church is a unique example of the so called Boyko architectural type in Slovakia. The church structure consists of three parts, has three spaces with three towers, erected on stone fundaments, with lob construction. The church has the main entrance in the western part, leading into narthex. The church is covered with shingles. Roof and tambours are in a shape of an octagonal. Interesting about the church is also the fact, that the highest and the widest part of the church is the middle part, called also the nave. Whole church is equipped with tall windows. Interior is thus full of light and thanks to high curving feels airy and spacey.

The iconostasis could be dated to the first half of the 19th century. It was carried here from Zemplín County, probably from the city of Trebišov. From the five common rows, only three are present here. The main row consists of the largest icons. On the right side of the central – royal doors is the icon of Christ the Teacher with the Gospel book in his hand. On the left side is the Icon of the Mother of God Hodigitria embracing Jesus. On the very left, close to the northern wall is the icon of the Holy bishop Nicholas. On the right side, next to the wall is the icon of the church patron feast – The Protection of the Mother of God.

Above the royal doors is located the icon of the Last Supper. The row of icons of the apostles follows, having the icon of Christ the High Priest in its middle. The iconostasis is finished with big one – barred cross with the Crucifixion. On the sides are the Mother of God on left and St. John the Evangelist on the right. Next row of icons, that one of prophets is in this church indeed in atypical style, as because of lack of space is located separately on the wall above the iconostasis. The construction of the iconostasis bears neo - renaissance articles, added by some carpenters ornaments and floral rope ornaments. For completeness’ sake, we need to say, that originally it was an iconostasis with more rows, as we can still see in the church also the icons of the Entrance of the Mother of God into the Temple, Nativity of the Mother of God, Ascension of Our Lord as well as the Exaltation of the Holy Cross.

Exterior, separately standing wooden belfry has a square ground plan. Roof of the tower follows in its design that of church towers. Inside is one bell. The whole church was completely renovated between 2003 and 2004.



Travel agency BYZANT
Hlavná 3, 080 01 Prešov
tel.: + 421 51 7562668
e-mail: info@drevenechramy.sk