Wooden churches

14. Vyšný Komárnik

The wooden Greek Catholic church of Ss. Cosmas and Damian, 1924, NKP 

    The first Greek Catholic church was built in the village around the middle of the 18th century, and dedicated to Ss. Cosmas and Damian. It remained until the beginning of the 20th century, but was probably destroyed during WWI. The second church was built on the same spot, with same dedication in 1924.
    The building has rustic construction with one tower pillar. It is built on a low stone foundation. The church has three parts and three towers with three metal crosses. Originally was in the tower one bell, from 1909, but now are four bells hanging in the tower. The entrance is on the western part, through the narthex. The choir loft is missing. The nave is the widest part of the church. Curiosities of this church are tall windows in the sanctuary and in nave.
    The iconostasis has four rows on four levels. The icons are relatively new, probably from the time of the building of the second church, with the exception of the icon of St. Nicholas in the first row and extensions for the prophets’ medallions. In the first row are the four main icons: St. Nicholas, Theotokos (Hodigitria), Christ the Teacher and Ss. Cosmas and Damian. The diaconal doors are not set with wings. The royal doors have six medallions, four Evangelists and the two with the depiction of the Annunciation. The second row has icons of the feasts with the icon of the Last (Mystical) Supper in the middle. In the third row are the icons of individual apostles with the icon of Christ the High Priest in the middle. The fourth row of prophets consists of two sets of three medallions, placed in gilded and carved medallions. The top of the iconostasis is finished with the Crucifixion with icons of the Theotokos and St. John the Theologian. The whole iconostasis was renovated in 2006.

Travel agency BYZANT
Hlavná 3, 080 01 Prešov
tel.: + 421 51 7562668
e-mail: info@drevenechramy.sk